Part 2 : History of the Church in Bergerac
Free Evangelical Church of Bergerac is a member of the Union
of Free Evangelical churches, and an heir of the Reformed
Evangelical Church of Bergerac, who used to be a professing
can be of catholic or protestant confession without truly
who ‘profess’ their faith are those who have personally
accepted the Lord and are not church goers because of
Church, as a body, must publicly confess or profess
(declare) its faith.
professing Reformed churches, including Bergerac, separated
from the official Reformed Church and in 1849 created the
Union of Free Evangelical Churches.
union is clearly in favour of the Church separating from the
world, and also from State influence. Hence the adjective
churches such as Orthez or Ste Foy had already previously
chosen their independence.
1868 the Free Evangelical Church of Bergerac organised the
11th synod and remained an active member of the
until 1938 when the Church rejoined the Reformed Church of
1938 till 1978 the Evangelical movement in Dordogne had only
two churches, the Assemblies of God in Périgueux and the
gipsy church ‘Life and Light’ in Bergerac.
the Free Evangelical Church of Bergerac had a new beginning.
presence in Périgueux of a few families who previously
belonged to the- free evangelical churches convinced the
to create a pioneer post, and sent Pastor Jacques Lauzet to
plant a church.
Bergerac other evangelical families were discovered who had
no church to attend.
one of the families opened their home to have a Sunday
worship service. Soon, several evangelical Christians
without a church joined them and thus began the Free
Evangelical Church of Bergerac.
1981, another family who owned a place near the centre of
town, offered their place for the church to hold meetings,
which gave the church more visibility.
same year Bergerac and Périgueux together became the Free
Evangelical Church of Périgueux-Bergerac and would continue
together until 2005.
the year 2000, the
offered financial help for the acquisition of the building
we’re still using today in Bergerac. After the hard work of
several parishioners of Bergerac, we started having our
church communities, two towns but only one church, have
known a different evolution, and Bergerac became a major
church, separate from Perigueux.
kept meeting together however for Christmas, for baptisms,
for out of church activities in common, such as the meeting
of Free Evangelical Churches of
families had several children, and a Sunday school was
created by Mme Lauzet in Bergerac; during the following
years an evangelical Scout group also started, led by
later became the group of youngsters who met each Saturday
evening either in Bergerac or in Périgueux.
September 1996 the Church finally had a second pastor to
serve in Bergerac.
enabled Bergerac to create its own legal structure and
become an ‘Eglise Majeure’, distinct from the Périgueux
church who remained, and still is, a ‘poste d’évangélisation’
(both expressions to be explained further during Lucie’s
Church in Bergerac reached an area far wider than the
Communauté d’Agglomération Bergeracoise. Its members come
from all over the
valley and beyond, the four corners of our area being
Mussidan, Le Bugue, Villeréal and Duras in Lot-et-Garonne.
activities of the
community since its beginnings :
evangelistic campaigns were organised, receiving a team from
Opération Mobilisation or evangelists such as André Adoul,
René Verd, Yves Perrier.
different occasions in the town of
Bibles and tracts have been distributed.
Church in Bergerac is open to all, welcomes all, but has its
own distinct identity.
2000 our Church has seen the arrival of different English
speaking members who participate actively in Church
activities, bringing along extra energy.
recent developments give the Church new hope to reach the
valley with evangelistic outreach.
of work ahead, but with more people available, the job will
Vitality journey which we started this year, 2017, will
of this will be operating in this 2017-2018 ‘bridge’ year
will be detailed later by Lucie.